Donors make a huge impact on the mission of WCA Foundation to support the health care initiatives of WCA Hospital. Grants are given to the hospital from the accumulated interest of the endowment created by the gifts and from donations made for specific immediate needs.
Most grants are for equipment and training which benefits the patients served by the best trained staff who use the newest tools needed to care for patients. The grants and WCA employee scholarships are funded by donor restricted funds that target specific purposes and service areas important to the donor and by the large unrestricted funds created to give non-specific assistance grants needed by the hospital.
The largest grant made by WCA Foundation was $1,000,000 when the hospital’s Emergency Department was rebuilt in 2012. On average, the foundation generates $500,000 per year to support the healthcare initiatives of WCA Hospital for residents in communities throughout Chautauqua County, New York and Warren County, Pennsylvania.
2015 GRANTS and SCHOLARSHIPS
All grants and scholarships listed are from earned income on the permanently invested gifts of donors.
Unrestricted Fund Grants
$342,174 from the following funds purchased heart-monitors for WCA Hospital:
• WCA Foundation Unrestricted Fund
• Clifford S. Davis Memorial Fund
• Esther Louise Hoag Fund
• Starr Trust
• Elizabeth Garatt Taylor Fund
Other Undesignated Grants
• Verland and Doris Danielson Fund awarded $8.333 to purchase a portable bladder scanner, bassinets and contributed to the building of the new obstetrical and gynecologic surgical suite.
• Dennis P. Bush Memorial Fund granted $933 toward a new bassinet.
The Board Designated Emergency Department Fund was enhanced by $25,000 in 2015 from the WCA Foundation Unrestricted Fund.
Restricted Fund Grants
$112,072 from the following special purpose restricted funds purchased a variety of equipment for WCA Hospital:
• Carol B. Bogdan Memorial Cancer Treatment Fund awarded $1,636 toward a Gynocologic Colpo-Master II Colposcope CS-205.
• Marie Barone Memorial Fund for Women’s Cancer Care helped purchase the new Gynocologic Colpo-Master II Colposcope CS-205 with its $4,366 grant.
• Dr. Harold M. and Joyce S. Childress Fund for Education, Cancer Treatment and Medical Library needs at WCA Hospital. Grants for employee training and education, a subscription to HUBNET, an internet resource, staff development resources and support for general surgical needs were given as parts of the $89,107 of grants from the Childress Fund.
• Eaglesome Family Fund to fight and educate about autoimmune diseases has donated $1,685 to present a community health presentation on autoimmune diseases.
• Dr. Glen M. Ebersole Memorial Fund for General Medicine and Physican Recruitment awarded $505 to assist WCA Hospital employee Joe Teressi to apply to medical schools.
• C. Donald and Marilyn L. Haglund and Family Fund for Dialysis purchased two recliner chairs for the use of inpatient dialysis patients and family members.
• Margaret Hitchcock Trust for the Speech & Hearing department of WCA Hospital contributed to the purchase of a hand held diagnostic and screening Otoacoustic Emissions Unit for measuring inner ear function in nonverbal patients , young children and babies.
• Elizabeth Warner Marvin Trust and furniture funds for capital improvements contribute a total of $984 toward the purchase of a bariatric shower chair.
• LaVerne M. Meyers Memorial Fund which benefits the Emergency Department donated $885 for the purchase of Pulse Oximiter.
• Judy Pollino Memorial Fund for fighting Ovarian Cancer contributed $588 toward the purchase of a Gynocologic Colpo-Master II Colposcope CS-205.
• Dale C. and Rebecca I. Robbins Fund for Obstetrics & Maternity contributed $876 toward the construction of the new Obstetric and Gynecological surgical suite.
• Betty Sheldon Starflight Fund donated $5,854 toward the purchase of a Carefusion LTV ReVel Ventilator for Starflight patients.
• Allen J. and Barbara B. Yahn Family Fund for Pediatrics granted $1,285 toward a new bassinet.
Scholarship Fund Grants
• Karen Ross Crossley Memorial Scholarship Fund awards $500 Nursing Scholarships to WCA Employees. The 2015 recipients was Kelli Clavin.
• Mary Lou Messina Nursing Scholarship Fund awards $500 Nursing Scholarships to WCA Employees. The 2015 recipients was Neisha Anderson.
• Murray S. Marsh Scholarship Fund a $500 to the outstanding graduate of the WCA School of Radiologic Technology and WCA Hospital Medical Technology Science Program. The 2015 winners were Eileen LeMar and Austie Lawrence, respectively.
• Vincent A. Messina Memorial Scholarship Fund: WCA School of Radiology awards a $1,000 scholarship to a second year student of the WCA School of Radiologic Technology, the alma mater of Vincent Messina. The 2015 recipients was Bethany Chapman.
• Vivian Wettingfield Nursing Education Fund awards $500 scholarships to WCA Employees. The 2015 recipients was Joshua Ward.